Wednesday, January 31, 2018

Just Like Us

Growing up, my parents always taught me to "think before you speak" because believe it or not, no matter how many times someone tells you "sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me" must have never been hurt before. It's a lot easier to tell someone not to let words of other people bother them, but let's be real- words hurt. Even if you don't mean it. Something I think we have all been guilty of is labeling a person by their disability or their health diagnosis. Maybe we haven't meant anything by it or even thought about it in a negative way, but to that person we are referring to, it matters.

Everyone has a story. Everyone is unique. More importantly, everyone is individual and this is what makes everybody special. We tend to look past the thought that we are putting these people into categories. For example, I have a close friend I went to middle school and high school with who has downs syndrome. I would hear people say "the downs syndrome girl" rather than calling her by her name. When we place people into a certain category, we tend to stigmatize them based on one certain thing about their life. If you ever met Terra, you would quickly realize that while yes, she does have downs syndrome, she is not a "downs syndrome girl." She can do everything that a person who does not have downs syndrome can. She is caring, smart, loves Mexican food, enjoys movies and music, loves Facebook, and loves Jesus. She memorizes scriptures from the Bible and even keeps you accountable. She sends me a text or Snapchat almost daily just to check in. My friend Terra is not "a downs syndrome girl." She is an individual human just like you and I. She may have downs syndrome, but it isn't fair to categorize her or anybody else, because we don't know how bad these words may hurt.

While I'm just now getting started on the long road of becoming an occupational therapist, I am quickly learning little things that I know will make a huge difference, not only when I begin to practice, but also in life. Treat everyone as they are individuals. Don't label someone because of life experiences. Your next door neighbor is not a "stroke victim" she is your neighbor who suffered a stroke. Your best friend is not a "bipolar person" but your best friend who happens to be living with bipolar disorder. It might not sound like it matters, but to these people, I promise you it makes a big difference in the way you word things and how we put the person first. People-first language is not only more professional when you are in the health care field, but it also lets the person know that you do care and that you look at them as a person instead of categorizing them by their illness. They are not defined by their disability, illness or even genetic disorder. They are regular people. Just like us.




1 comment: